1991 Recipient - Mrs. Lucy Shropshire Crump
Lucy Crump's civic work spanned many years and involved many causes. Best known for her work in promoting historic preservation, she was a founding member of the Board of the Blue Grass Trust for Historic Preservation, which acquired, renovated, and restored the Hunt-Morgan House to its original beauty. She served on the Board of the Trust in its formative years, giving fully of her unbounded energy and talents and returned to the Board twenty years later to give valuable guidance and foresight in the field of endowment and financial affairs for two terms, and served as Chairman of the endowment Fund Committee. It is Lucy Crump to whom most credit goes for the success of the Blue Grass Trust fundraiser - the Holiday market at the Hunt-Morgan House. Her organizational talents helped develop this into a very popular Christmas event and financial success.
In spring 1985, she almost single handedly, and without a budget, furnished Parker Place by obtaining donations and loans of decorative arts and furniture appropriate to the house from friends and strangers for use by the city as a headquarters and reception center when Lexington hosted the National Collegiate Athletic Association Basketball Tournament. In 1988, she was instrumental in having the Parker Log House (1784) erected and restored at Parker Place.
Crump practiced the craft of bookbinding for many years with special equipment in her home. She hand bound many volumes of books for the Lexington Garden Club. The proceeds from the sale of these books contributed substantially to the maintenance and support of the beautiful gardens at Ashland, home of Henry Clay. In 1974, at the request of Mayor Pettit, she created by hand and lettered in gold, a leather presentation case as the official gift to her Royal Highness Princess Margaret of Great Britain on the occasion of her visit to Kentucky for the 100th running of the Kentucky Derby. In October 1990, she gave her bookbindery to Transylvania University. It was her hope that the University would eventually have a residence binder to work on the old medical books.
In 1979, at the request of the President of Transylvania University, she served as chairman of a special exhibit of Kentucky silver celebrating the bicentennial of the college. She compiled and published a magnificent catalogue for this event, which identified the examples of the famous silversmiths of Kentucky over the 200 years of Transylvania's history.
She was also very active in the Junior League of Lexington, serving as its president in 1950-1951, and as executive secretary for several seasons. She served on the Advisory Board of the Life Adventure Camp for several years, which provided a summer camp experience for emotionally disturbed inner-city children of Lexington. For over forty years, she was a member of the Board of the Orphan Society, which owned Park Place. She was a member of the Board of the Downtown Lexington Corporation and Chairman of the Lexington-Fayette County Historic Commission.
[adapted from A.F. Dawahare's HIP nomination letter]